Refereed Articles
Conference Papers
Jeanz Officers
Thesis Summaries
Student Work
Qantas Awards

 

JEA (Australia)

Pacific Journalism Review

 


JTO Reports


Jeanz representative’s report on JTO Sector Committee meeting, held on October 20, 2009

Minutes of the JTO Sector Committee meeting held at iPayroll House, 93 Boulcott St, on October 20, at 10am.

Present: Mike Fletcher, Mark Torley, John Spring, Grant Hannis, Kim Griggs, Joan Grace; by audio-conference: Peter McKenzie, Nevil Gibson, Scott Inglis, Keith Slater

Apologies
:  Clive Lind (chairman), Charles Mabbett, Tim Pankhurst, Laura Franklin

Acting chairman: In the absence of the chairman, Mark Torley was acting chairman

Previous minutes
: Minutes of the June 19 Sector Committee meeting were confirmed

Activity update: Mike said all major tasks for 09 had been completed or were on track for completion within the activity plan timelines. This includes workplace training, the trial moderation of J schools, and review of the unit standards.

Strategic Training Plan:
The ED explained the plan had been developed from the strategic training workshop held in June and would be the JTO’s guiding document for the next 2-5 years. 

Trial moderation
: Grant Hannis said the project had involved Massey in a lot of work assembling the material. He hoped the schools that had agreed to the moderation would not have to go through the same process next year.  He felt that those who had completed the pilot should get some dispensation in 2010. Joan Grace said the moderation process would be discussed further at the JEANZ conference in December. Joan said the moderation panel would be in a better position to comment on procedures and the amount of material needed once the pilot moderation had been completed.

Short courses
: Kim Griggs said she was pleased to see this issue was to be re-visited. She said media law in particular was a subject that needed to be run regularly. The ED said the make-up of the subjects in the National Diploma in Applied Journalism provided an opportunity to run short courses that were linked to the qualification and thus qualified as training.

Budget for 2010: Mike outlined the key points of the budget, noting the result would be largely breakeven. He said the workplace training revenue would enable a decrease in industry subscriptions.  Costs had been minimised, largely as a result of reducing management overheads.

Workplace allowance
: Grant talked about the expenses allowance for students who had secured out-of-area workplace experience jobs. Grant argued that $140 is inadequate these days.
It was agreed JEANZ raise with the Newspaper Publishers Association the possibility of the allowanced being increased. Grant will bring this up at the JEANZ conference.

2010 meeting schedule
: Members will be advised before Christmas of the dates, once the new CMIT general manager has take up her role.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeanz representative’s report on JTO Sector Committee meeting, held on June 19, 2009

Minutes of the Journalists’ Training Organisation Sector Committee meeting held on June 19, 2009, at the NPA premises, 93 Boulcott Street, Wellington, at 10 am.

Apologies:
Tim Pankhurst, Laura Franklin, Charles Mabbett

Present:
Clive Lind (chairman), Mike Fletcher, Joan Grace, Grant Hannis, John Spring, Mark Torley, (by teleconference) Nevil Gibson, Michael Cummings, Scott Inglis.

Previous minutes:
  The minutes of the previous meeting were received. 

Journalism Sector Activity Plan 2009:
  Mike detailed that the workplace training scheme is progressing well. Many workplaces and employees are now signed up to the scheme. Training of assessors is to take place early next year.
The Accreditation and Moderation Action Plan for the moderation of journalism schools is also progressing. This project has been contracted to consultant Norma Woodhead. Several journalism schools are involved in a trial moderation this year, focussing on the news-writing unit standard.
It is intended that all journalism schools will be moderated annually. Each year, specific unit standards will be used as the basis for moderation, with all units moderated over five years. Mike is to meet with the J Schools to discuss the proposals at a session immediately preceding the Jeanz conference at the end of the year.
As part of a review of the unit standards, the JTO will be holding a meeting of journalism-school and industry representatives to discuss what is covered in the unit standards, what industry expects of its new graduates, and any gaps between the two. The meeting is scheduled for June 29.

Financial summary:
  The financial report for the year ended April, 2009, showed the JTO had a surplus of $21,301 compared with a budgeted surplus of $10,504. This largely reflected a significant reduction in operating costs. 

J-schools’ activities:
Summaries of J-school operations were tabled, based on J-schools’ reports to their respective industry liaison committees.

Next meeting:
October 20.

Grant Hannis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeanz representative’s report on JTO Sector Committee meeting, held on February 17, 2009

Minutes of the Journalists Training Organisation Sector Committee meeting held on February 17, 2009 at the NPA premises, 93 Boulcott Street, Wellington, at 10 am.

Apologies
: Laura Franklin, Richard Patete, Mark Torley

Present
: Clive Lind (chairman), Grant Hannis, Nevil Gibson, David Vaeafe, John Spring, Charles Mabbett, Grant Hannis, Tony Wilton; by teleconference: Keith Slater, Scott Inglis, Michael Cummings (by teleconference), In attendance: Communications and Media CEO Joan Grace, JTO executive director Mike Fletcher, PrintNZ GM Ashley Chisholm

Welcome: the chairman welcomed the sector committee members, noting 2009 would be a busy year.

Previous minutes: The minutes of the November meeting were taken as read. Confirmed, John Spring/Charles Mabbett.

Matters arising:
1. The training scheme and interns. The ED said he would contact the Christchurch Broadcasting School once the contents for the television training manual were finalised;
2. Publicising the training scheme. The ED said he was finalising a PowerPoint presentation for newsrooms and J-schools.
Appointment of CMITO Board members: After a brief discussion the following members were appointed- Clive Lind (representing print); Mark Torley (electronic media); Keith Slater (alternate member). Clive Lind’s appointment was moved David Vaeafe/ John Spring; the appointment of Mark Torley and Keith Slater was moved Clive Lind/Grant Hannis.

Clive Lind said all board members would find the new ITO structure challenging and interesting. The appointment of an alternate member would help ensure consistent representation from the journalism sector committee. He said it would be important for board members to report back to their respective sectors to ensure clear communication.
Journalism Sector Activity Plan 2009: The committee considered the plan – based on the eight key activities approved last December -and progress reports item by item. Discussion points included:
1. Support for workplace scheme. After several members questioned how the scheme would operate, it was agreed the ED send updated copies of the manual – which explains processes and support – to sector members. Clive Lind said a number of senior journalists were being approached to become assessors. He urged the sector committee to provide more names.
2. Accreditation and Moderation Action Plan. The ED confirmed there would be widespread consultation with the J-schools. Joan Grace said the current focus was on moderating the schools. In future there would be more focus on the subjects.
Confirmed, Nevil Gibson/David Vaeafe: That the report be received and the activity approved.

Strategic training plan: Joan Grace said the plan would provide clear aims and objectives. These were necessary to achieve success with TEC funding. Ashley Chisholm said the plan would identify key needs and skills. Clive Lind said there was a clear need to consult with the industry. While this might seem bureaucratic, the organisation would be the better for it. Once the base, via the strategic plan, was firmly established the focus could turn back to producing the better journalism we all enjoyed.
Confirmed, Keith Slater/Scott Inglis: 1)That the Sector Committee will produce a plan by September for confirmation in October; 2) that the management committee will form the nucleus of the plan working party with power to co-opt.

Financial summary: The financial report for the year ended December showed the JTO had a surplus of $37,757 compared with a budget surplus of $9450. The ED said the improvement reflected stronger than anticipated revenue and tight control on costs.
The surplus for January, at 19,233, was down $2473 on budget, reflecting a drop in membership revenue. The Ed said the new training focus of the JTO had little relationship with individuals unless they were linked to a workplace. Subscription debts incurred by individuals had been written off.
The cash-flow position for January (funds on hand and term deposit) amounted to $103,780 compared with $65,848 at this time last year.
Confirmed, Michael Cummings/Tony Wilton: that the accounts for December and January be approved.

J-school enrolments: The ED tabled provisional numbers, noting the total was similar to last year.
To a question from Nevil Gibson, Grant Hannis (the JEANZ representative and Massey journalism programme leader) said Massey’s smaller class number reflected the decision to offer an undergraduate course and the belief that a slight reduction in numbers would increase the quality of graduates.

Seminars: Clive Lind said seminars were beyond the statutory and practical capability of the JTO sector. He noted the JTO had a history of providing seminars and wondered if the sector could set up a link with a person or institution, such as a J-school, prepared to provide seminars for the benefit of journalists.
The sector, for example, could, via its website and contacts, promote approved seminars without being involved in their planning, funding or operation.
The sector members agreed with his view.
Confirmed, Charles Mabbett/Grant Hannis: that the sector committee liaise with potential providers abut contracting out seminars.

Meetings: A schedule of sector committee and management committee meeting was adopted. Confirmed, John Spring/Charles Mabbett.
It was further agreed, confirmed Grant Hannis/David Vaeafe, that teleconference facilities be available for out-of-Wellington members.
Moderation: The moderation report for a j-school was tabled. The school passed the moderation.
General business: none.

Next meeting: June 19, Venue to be confirmed.

The meeting ended at 11.35am.

Grant Hannis

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeanz representative’s report on JTO Council meeting,

held on November 20, 2008

The JTO is no more – long live the JTO!
Today’s meeting of the JTO Council approved the Rules (constitution) of the new Communications and Media ITO, which will be launched officially on March 31.
As you know via a memo from Mike Fletcher, the merger of PrintNZ and the JTO was approved by the outgoing Minister of Tertiary Education last month. Today’s final meeting of the JTO council tidied away the last procedural matters. The JTO name will be kept as a brand for marketing purposes, and the JTO Council becomes a sector committee embedded in the new CoMITO, with one journalism representative on the overall CoMITO board, which covers print and packaging. The EPMU has two members. The operation will continue much as it is for another year – similar budget, managed by an executive director (who will be Mike, who has agreed to stay on in the meantime). The base will be shifted to PrintNZ’s office in Lower Hutt, but Mike will continue to do most of his office work from home in Rotorua. CoMITO Constitution

I raised one point about the new rules – the absence of JEANZ as a named organisation with the right to nominate a member to the new journalism sector committee (as we have now). That was immediately amended and JEANZ will have official recognition.

Workplace training diploma
Workplace training is the main reason why the merger was needed – to give the JTO the resources, staffing and government funding to get training up and running in newsrooms.
A lot of progress has been made. The meeting was presented with the manual for a proposed level 6 qualification called the National Diploma in Applied Journalism, which will take newsroom workers an estimated 12 to 18 months to do. It will work much as envisaged in the pilot run in 2006 - people will do their usual work, but it will be monitored and assessed, and learning that takes place will be formally recognised.

The manual sets out how this will work for print, with more to come for broadcasters. There are six module topics - to be covered by new level 6 unit standards being written now - including roundwork, news writing, feature writing, court reporting, media law and media ethics. These will be very familiar to you, of course, because we already teach them at J school. And this is the challenge CoMITO faces – writing unit standards that don’t overlap level 5s in a way NZQA will find unacceptable. Mike and his colleagues are working with NZQA on that now.

I applaud the new scheme - partly because in my previous role I was only too aware from research and talking to journalists how necessary it is; partly because it has the commitment of the major employers (the main reason I left the JTO was one key employer declined to commit to it); partly because it closely resembles the approach I was trialling in 2006/2007. The overall concept is certainly the same (one that I borrowed from other ITOs) – trainees have their usual day-to-day work output assessed by outside assessors, with someone in the newsroom appointed by the employer to supervisor the process and the ITO providing visiting liaison officers to support trainees and supervisors.

Such a scheme needs a full team and support/recognition from the government agencies, and that is what it will get. Joan Grace, CEO of the new body, has a lot of experience and credibility with TEC and NZQA, and the scheme has an excellent chance of success because of the involvement of her and her team. The unknown factors are newsroom seniors/supervisors and individual employers. They will need to commit fully. They would be silly not to, because the outcome should be better performed staff and less strain on those at the top of newsroom hierarchies, especially in production. Better quality performance should theoretically translate into more effective newsrooms and media products. The programme will start on April 1, with CoMITO aiming to enrol about 30 trainees. A big effort will be made to market the programme to industry and to inform media people about how it will work.

I believe journalism schools can play a part in marketing this by alerting students to the opportunities this represents when they leave our classrooms. When I gave my class a brief outline today, they were interested in the prospect of further professional development beyond our programme. Interestingly, the requirement that trainees have a prior qualification like the National Diploma in Journalism has been dropped, which opens the programme to anyone an employer wants to enrol.
Joan Grace presented figures which show:
• Significant funding will come from TEC to help set this up. It has already provided $70,000.
• Training costs to be met by the employee or (more likely) the employer are about $1500 over 12 to 18 months.
• The rest of the costs will be covered by funding from TEC (much as it funds places on tertiary provider courses like the existing National Diploma in Journalism (Multimedia).
• If 30 trainees are signed up in 2009 and 2010, contributions to the JTO by industry could drop by more than half in 2010 (from $130,000 a year to about $60,000), with $115,000 coming from TEC ($100,000) and trainees/employers ($15,000).

Moderation by JTO
It looks like we’re in for another change, but this one seems eminently sensible. A JTO consultant is expected to recommend soon that the JTO drops its three-yearly moderation cycle and “review” approach and moderate one or two unit standards each year across all schools. There would be no visits to schools by panels – schools would be advised which unit standards are up each year and would send samples of assessment to the JTO. Sounds fairer, and more practical than past models, which were cumbersome, expensive and not particularly effective in ensuring minimum standards were being achieved.

Review of unit standards
All the journalism unit standards will be reviewed, including the new level 5 ones, which is sensible given some of the problems that have arisen over interpretation and the sheer weight of assessment required. The lower level (2 and 3) ones are already being reviewed. Incidentally, Whitireia is looking at redeveloping the National Certificate in Journalism (Introductory) as a level 4 qual, something that Mike thinks will better fit the staircase he is constructing.

Assessment
Mike would like to see best practice assessment models developed across the board. JEANZ members have already begun work on that, so such a move is likely to assist everyone. It should sort out the age-old problem of inconsistency between schools, which (rightly or wrongly) we tried to address with the new level 5 unit standards. I'm only to happy to share my assessments with others who are interested. Whatever happens, JEANZ will be well-advised to play a key role in this, for obvious reasons.

Subediting unit standard at level 6
The JTO has set up a working group (Charles Riddle, Julie Starr, Bryce Johns, Laura Franklin, Scott Inglis) to look at developing a level 6 subediting unit standard for the new applied diploma.

Shorthand
A meeting of shorthand tutors is planned.

Resignations and retirements
Tony Wilton is retiring from the EPMU and from the JTO. He's been involved with the JTO since its inception and has worked tirelessly over the years to further the cause of better training in industry. He was a key contributor to the new workplace programme and the merger.
I tendered my own resignation from the JTO, as well. Grant Hannis said he was happy to continue representing the university interests, but believes someone should be appointed by JEANZ to ensure polytech viewpoints are accommodated. I agree with him and I'm sure you'll find a replacement with that in mind.
I believe I've done my dash in the role, and now I'm involved in rebuilding Whitireia I have found little time to devote to representing JEANZ properly. Many thanks to those of my colleagues who have shared the load over recent years. I've enjoyed working with you.

Jim Tucker

Jeanz representative’s report on JTO Council meeting held on 8 November, 2007

Present:
Lincoln Gould (NPA), Mike Fletcher (CNA) Shenagh Gleeson (NPA) Keith Slater (TV3), Terry Brown (RNZ), Mark Torley (TVNZ), Laura Franklin (APN), Paul Taggart (Fairfax), Tony Wilton (EPMU), Charles Mabbett (Asia NZ), Grant Hannis (university observer), James Hollings (Jeanz) Jim Tucker (co-opted), Clive Lind (Fairfax)

1. Apologies: David Vaeafe (PIMA), Jemma Dempsey (Canwest Radio)

2. Mike Fletcher, acting executive director after the resignation of Jim Tucker, said that Jim had agreed to be co-opted on to the Council.

3. Mike Fletcher resigned as chair of the council to take up his new role as executive director. This was approved by the council. Lincoln Gould was nominated as chairman to replace Mike, and this was approved by the council. A moment’s silence was observed to mark the passing of JTO Council member Bruce Wallace.

4. The minutes of the previous meeting on July 4, 2007 were read and accepted.

5. Mike Fletcher said the proposed design and layout book had been postponed until at least mid next year due to lack of money.

6. Terry Brown asked that more effort be given to publicising student broadcast section of Qantas Awards, due to lack of entries.

7. Lincoln Gould said three more people would be needed on the management committee to replace Shenagh Gleeson (ret), Bruce Wallace (dec) and Mike Fletcher (resigned to become exec director). Council agreed to let Mike Fletcher and Lincoln Gould arrange that. Clive Lind said it was important to have someone from APN and community newspapers on the committee.

8. There was considerable discussion of the proposal to amalgamate the JTO with the Print Industry Training Organisation. Mike Fletcher said this was necessary because (a) the TEC had given JTO only until April to show good progress on a workplace training scheme, and until Oct to implement one, and (b) if the merger didn’t go ahead the JTO would go out of business.
The Print NZ ITO was chosen as a merger partner, in line with the recommendation from independent consultant Graeme Talbot. The council agreed to recommend to its funding stakeholders that it amalgamate with the PrintNZ to form a new multimedia ITO, the name of which is to be the subject of further discussion. Amalgamation is subject to agreement by the JTO and PrintNZ on a memo of understanding. It was also agreed that the JTO management committee will continue to negotiate on behalf of the JTO and report to the council.
Keith Slater asked at what point the amalgamation became inevitable. Lincoln Gould replied that it had to be ratified by the council before it could become a fact.

There was considerable discussion around the council table about the pros and cons of amalgamating. There were no strong objections to it, provided the autonomy of journalism could be maintained, it was financially viable, and the new organisation took account of broadcast interests. Many speakers made the point that something had to be done or the JTO would cease to exist and the journalism industry would then no longer have any influence over the NZQA on setting standards for journalism training.

9. It was noted that the revised Level 5 unit standards have been approved and posted on the NZQA website. Shenagh Gleeson asked if all J Schools would be teaching them. Grant Hannis replied that he expected the schools would be implementing them from next year.

10. Financial reports were tabled. These showed the JTO’s annual income to 30 Sept 2007 was $153,376, expenditure was $146,350, leaving a surplus of $7,026. These reports were accepted.

11. There was some discussion about the JTO’s new replacement for Intro. Mike Fletcher noted this was in progress and a decision hoped to be made in the next couple of days about whether it would be ready for next year’s courses. Grant Hannis noted that journalism schools would want to be sure that any textbooks from JTO were suitable before they would be prescribed for journalism school courses.

12. Moderations: Michael Fletcher noted that next year the NZ Broadcasting School, Aoraki, Whitireia and Waiariki were to be moderated.

General business:
Jim Tucker noted that a major reason to amalgamate with PrintNZ was to keep the TEC funding of $5000/ student, and that ideally the JTO should seek to apply for category B funding of $8500/ student. He also advised that Whitireia’s journalism school would be moving to new premises in the old Workingmen’s Club in Cuba St, Wellington.

Thanks were expressed to Shenagh Gleeson (retiring) for her work with the Council. Clive Lind was elected to replace her on the workplace training committee. Mike Fletcher asked that appreciation be shown to Jim Tucker for his work in getting the new level 5 unit standards approved. He said Jim had done a fantastic job on this project.

Next meetings: dates were set for the next JTO meetings:
March 12, May 21, July 16 (AGM) and Oct 15.

Jeanz representative’s report on JTO AGM and JTO Council meeting,
both held on July 4, 2007

AGM
Those present: Mike Fletcher, Jemma Dempsey, Nevil Gibson, David Vaeafe, Lincoln Gould, Terry Brown, Kim Griggs, Clive Lind, Keith Slater, John Stewart, Tony Wilton, Jim Tucker, Grant Hannis (standing in for James Hollings), Shenagh Gleeson, Charles Mabbett

After confirming the minutes of the previous AGM, Mike thanked Jim for his work at the JTO and congratulated him on his new role as head of the Whitireia journalism programme. I joined several other council members in also warmly thanking Jim for his time at the JTO and wishing him well for the future.

Jim reported on his activities since becoming executive director, including a significant improvement in the JTO’s finances, a range of industry seminars, and the launching of the pilot industry training programme.

A range of new textbooks are expected to be published this year, including Carol Archie’s Pou korero: A journalist’s guide to Maori and current affairs, Steven Price’s Media minefield: A journalist’s guide to media regulation in NZ and the new version of Intro, edited by Jim Tully.

The JTO is currently moderating four journalism schools, with moderation of another school due to start soon.

The JTO’s audited accounts were for a transitional short year of nine months (to Dec 2006) to bring the JTO’s financial year in line with the calendar year. This is to synchronise the JTO’s accounts with the TEC’s funding system, in anticipation of receiving TEC funding for workplace training. The JTO recorded a small deficit of $2405 (the previous March year’s result was a surplus of $48,279). This was because the transition year excluded February, a time of high income from book sales.

Ordinary meeting
Those present: Same as AGM

The minutes of the previous meeting were confirmed. In discussing the minutes, Jim noted that the JTO website now details the moderation status of each journalism school (see http://www.journalismtraining.co.nz/schools.html).

Jim presented his report to the council. In particular, he noted that the JTO’s overhaul of unit standards is still proceeding. He also noted that a review of the pilot workplace training programme will be conducted over the next few months.

Jim presented a report on the JTO’s future direction. The TEC has given the JTO 18 months to show what it wishes to be:

1. A voluntary scheme. The JTO would establish a journalism diploma, registered on the NZQA’s framework but not based on unit standards. Journalism schools would voluntarily agree to be moderated. The JTO would continue to be industry funded.

2. An ITO. This would require the JTO to spend significant sums over the next year or so ($100,000-$130,000 to cover, for instance, establishing databases, hiring staff, and using consultants). The main media outlets would need to be involved in the JTO’s industry training programme. The JTO would receive major ongoing government funding, but not start up funding.

3. Part of another ITO. This is the option favoured by the TEC, as part of the government’s desire for fewer ITOs. The only other media-related ITO is PrintNZ, and the JTO has discussed with PrintNZ the possibility of a merger. The JTO would have to spend up to about $100,000 on transition costs (including using consultants, writing policies, hiring staff, etc.). The government would provide funding for the merger, but only after the merger is completed.

The major challenge the JTO faces is to decide which option to adopt.

The next meeting of the JTO Council was scheduled for 10am, Weds, October 10, 2007.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPORT TO JEANZ of an ordinary meeting of the JTO Council held in the NPA boardroom at 93 Boulcott St, Wellington, at 10am on March 14, 2007:


PRESENT: Mike Fletcher (CNA) Chair, Lincoln Gould (NPA) Deputy Chair, Suzanne Chetwin (MPA), Shenagh Gleeson (NPA), Nevil Gibson (MPA), Kim Griggs (freelancers), Clive Lind (NPA), Keith Slater (TV3), John Stewart (TVNZ), Tony Wilton (EPMU).
Later (11.20am): James Hollings (JEANZ)
In Attendance: Executive Director Jim Tucker; Charles Mabbett (Asia:NZ); Ana Tapiata (Kawea Te Rongo).


1 Apologies: Terry Brown (Radio NZ), Laura Franklin (APN Regionals), Mitch Harris (Canwest Radio), Brian Joyce (JEANZ), Paul Taggart (newspapers, co-opted); Lincoln Tan (Asia/NZ media), David Vaeafe (PIMA), Bruce Wallace (TVBC).
Not present: Maramena Roderick (Kawea Te Rongo), Richard Sutherland (Radio Network).


2 Minutes of the previous Council meeting (November 8, 2006)
MOVED: Lincoln Gould SECONDED: Shenagh Gleeson
THAT the minutes be confirmed as a true and accurate record.
PASSED


3 Matters arising
There were no matters arising.


4 Executive Director's report March 14, 2007
The ED commented on various sections of his report.
The council discussed at length the reluctance being expressed by some institutions to allow industry involvement in tutor appointments. Various members voiced concern at this, especially when the ED advised that in three recent cases people appointed to tutor positions had - in the view of industry people in one case - either insufficient news experience or inappropriate experience.
On a related matter, JTO is currently considering revised guidelines for industry liaison committees with J Schools. Some schools have objected to the tone and content of these – especially the extent to which JTO has input into hiring of tutors. The ED advises that there will be more consultation about these guidelines.
Clive Lind said industry was worried about the fact schools which did not come up to standard were able to continue operating. The ED said the process of moderation was lengthy, but the JTO was taking a firm line. In the end it could ask for a full audit and finally, if concerns were not met, the organisation could ask NZQA to take action.
Ultimately, a school could have its accreditation removed by NZQA, but this was a serious development and the process leading to such an outcome needed to be rigorous and correctly applied. In the case of one school, the JTO's moderation was into its second year; the JTO would not relent until issues with assessment were resolved.
Members had a number of suggestions for the proposed training seminar on interviewing, including the idea of someone known to be media wise being brought in to be interviewed in a workshop. Shenagh Gleeson said the emphasis should be on every-day news interviewing. It was suggested that a couple of difficult interviews (eg, Kim Hill and John Pilger) be used as examples of interviewing problems.
Shenagh Gleeson asked that a current industry layout practitioner be involved in the new layout and design textbook being edited by Allan Lee. The ED advised that Atex had agreed to be a part-sponsor. Suggestions for other sponsors included Adobe (In-Design), Apple Mac, Flint Inks, and P. J. Ball. Lincoln Gould is approaching Norske Skog.
Shenagh Gleeson asked what progress had been made with the proposed National Diploma in Editing. The ED said he had only three replies to his survey of editors, all of them expressing enthusiasm. He had not had time to progress development of the diploma. Clive Lind said some editors believed it was a good idea as a long-term solution to the subeditor shortage.
As chair of the Workplace Training Subcommittee, Shenagh will call a meeting to advance the proposal.
She also asked about the idea for student awards. The ED said Qantas Print Awards organiser Barry Young was interested in discussing a proposal for separate national journalism student awards. The current awards were one for broadcasting students and one for print, with entries numbering about 20 for print and half a dozen for broadcasting (all from one school).
The ED said he saw expanded new awards as part of the JTO's strategy in 2008 to promote journalism as a career choice. It was suggested Air NZ might be interested in being a sponsor.
It was decided the ED should bring a full proposal to the next JTO Council meeting.


5 and 6 Financial Reports
The Financial Report for February was tabled. The JTO ended the shortened financial year (April 1 to december 31) with a net surplus of $5,261. As at February 9, the operating account held $63,396.51, and the investment account $34,119, a total of $97,515.51. There was little activity in January, so outgoings this month will be minimal.
MOVED: Lincoln Gould SECONDED: Nevil Gibson
THAT the February Financial Report and Accounts be approved.
PASSED


7 Audited Annual Accounts for nine-month financial period to December 31 , 2006
The ED advised that the nine-month period was necessary to realign the JTO's financial year with TEC's funding schedules. The results gave a distorted picture, since a key income period for book sales (February) was absent, while there had been considerable unbudgeted expenditure ($12,000) to launch the workplace training pilot. The auditor, Walter Brock, had found no issues with the accounts and had signed them off.
MOVED: Mike Fletcher SECONDED: Lincoln Gould
THAT the 2006 audited annual accounts for the JTO be adopted.
PASSED


8 2007 Budget and Business Plan
These had been adopted by the Management Committee. There was no discussion.


9 General Business:
9.1 New tertiary strategy: The TEC is planning a new tertiary strategy. This will have some implications for J Schools. The JTO is keen to see tertiary funding criteria revised to reflect the extra time requirements journalism students need. The JTO will be lobbying for this.
9.2 Proposal to survey employers: The JTO is proposing to survey media employers to ask what their needs are in terms of graduates. Kim Griggs asked that employers be asked to specify the numbers of freelancers they used. Shenagh said it would be important to send the survey to the people in media organisations best able to provide data. The ED will consult the JTO Surveys Subcommittee. The survey will be applied online, but employers will receive a hard-copy letter alerting them to what was being done.
9.3 Asian student scholarship: Asia NZ is proposing a scholarship to encourage more Asian students take up journalism. Charles Mabbett said he had spoken with Paul Norris at the NZ Broadcasting School who urged that this be offered to secondary school students rather than current tertiary students. He asked for the proposal to be reconsidered. It was recommended that half the scholarship be paid in advance and half when the student completed his or her tertiary course.
Charles and ED were asked to bring an amended proposal back to the Management Committee.
9.4 Continued membership of the Industry Training Federation: There was a proposal from the ED to end membership of the ITF as it was felt it was not money well spent. Mike Fletcher said the ED had asked for this matter to be withdrawn, given the ITF was now proving to be of some value to the JTO in discussions about the government's new tertiary strategy.
9.5 Press Council review: Lincoln Gould advised a review of the Press Council had been commissioned and various members of the JTO, as well as the JTO as a body, would be invited to make submissions.
9.6 Freelancers conference: Kim Griggs said the second annual conference of freelance journalists was being held at the Hyatt Hotel in Auckland on May 2 and 3.
9.7 Canterbury University: Mike Fletcher advised that Canterbury University Graduate School of Journalism had agreed to be moderated this year by the JTO. The school also intended to appoint an industry representative to chair its board of studies following the resignation from Canterbury of Professor John Burrows.
9.8 Intro replacement: Mike advised that Jim Tully, editor/author of the replacement textbook for Intro, had given an undertaking that all copy for the new book would be sent to the JTO by the end of April.


10 New appointments to Council: At the ED's recommendation, two alternate members were accepted.
MOVED: Lincoln Gould SECONDED: Shenagh Gleeson
THAT Charles Mabbett and Ana Tapiata be co-opted as alternate members of the JTO Council for Lincoln Tan and Kawea Te Rongo respectively. PASSED

11 J School intakes for 2007: A report showing enrolments for 2007 was tabled.
The figures are below:

Industry Pre-Entry Programmes, graduating in 2007 Total: 229
National Diploma in Journalism 84
Graduate Diploma in Journalism 54
Post-Graduate Diploma in Journalism 20
Undergraduate degree (final year) 71
National Diploma Distance Learning, part-time Total: 25
Introductory and lower level Total: 58
Intro cert in journalism 23
Undergraduate degree (prior to major or final year) 35

Enrolments, and graduating numbers available to industry in 2007 (latter in red):

SCHOOL PROGRAMME NUMBERS TREND
Aoraki National Diploma in Journalism 10 Down (from 16)
Intro Cert in Journalism (Chch campus) 13 Up
AUT Graduate Diploma in Journalism 27 Same
Journalism major in B Comm Studies 40 Up (from 35)
NZ Brdcstng Bachelor of Broadcasting 17 yr1; 18 yr2 Same
Canterbury Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism 20 Same
Massey Graduate Diploma in Journalism 26 Same
SIT National Diploma in Journalism 17 Up (15)
Journalism papers, B of Applied Media 10 yr1; 8 yr2 New
Intro Cert in Journalism nil Not offered
Waiariki Nat Diploma in Journalism (Maori) 15 yr1; 9 yr2 Same
Intro Cert in Journalism (iwi radio) nil Offered every 2 yrs
Whitireia National Diploma in Journalism 19 Up (from 14)
Intro Cert in Journalism 10 Up
WINTEC National Diploma in Journalism 20 Same
Journalism major, B of Media Arts 15 yr1; 14 yr2 Same
WITT Nat Diploma in Journalism (midway) 9 Down (15)
Extramural Nat Dip (distance) 25 Up

12. Seminar programme: JTO has a busy seminar programme planned for this year, with topics including business, health, law, convergence and others. See the JTO website for details.

13 Next meeting (AGM and Council): Wednesday, June 20, 2007.

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 11.45am.
________________________________________

Executive Director's Report, March 14, 2007
Summary
This report rehearses matters reported to and discussed at the February 14 meeting of the JTO Management Committee (the first for the year) and updates JTO Council members on developments since.
The JTO's main focus this year will be on the following:
1. Workplace training pilot.
2. Preparations for launching workplace training in 2008.
3. Review of unit standards and qualifications.
4. Assessing the impact of the government's new tertiary strategy.
5. Gaining re-recognition from TEC as an industry training organisation.
6. Finalising the revised external moderation plan.
7. External moderations of SIT, WITT, WINTEC and AUT.
8. Adoption of guidelines for Journalism Advisory Committees.
9. Training seminars.
10. Publication of new textbooks.


Details
Most of these topics were covered in my report to the Management Committee on February 14 (see Attachment B). However, some updating is appropriate.


1. Workplace training pilot
Over the last month I have visited workplace trainees and mentors at the NZ Herald, RadioNZ, TVNZ, Maori TV, NewstalkZB (Auckland), Radio Live, and the Waikato Times. More visits will follow shortly to the Daily Post (March 21), Hawkes Bay Today, The Aucklander and the Northern Advocate.
I found in most cases the pilot had been disrupted over the holidays, but most of those involved were now ready to give it full attention. The response was generally enthusiastic, with one chief reporter saying it was working so well she thought her entire staff should be placed on it. The visits were a chance for me to see early work being done and to begin to resolve issues, such as a definition for "minimal subediting". This is a requirement for stories being placed in trainees' portfolios for later assessment.
Use of the new JTO Workplace Training Blog/Website has been slow, mostly because people misunderstood the logon procedure. The webmaster has worked hard to sort that out and I am now posting material on the site almost daily. It will eventually house a database of training resources as I get time to produce them. The site also has training manuals (including one for mentors) and the advanced diploma draft programme.
While at the independent community newspapers association annual conference in Dunedin I was asked if community papers could join up. I have since produced a community newspaper level 5 programme and we are about to sign up the first two papers. In cases where papers are too small to have on-site mentors available, we are offering outside trainers to work with them. They will be charged for that.
To this end, I am beginning to assemble a team of potential trainers and assessors. Those expressing interest include Maramena Roderick, Shenagh Gleeson, Laura Basham, Peter Kitchin and Bob Cotton. At present, Terry Brown and I are acting as outside assessors for radio and print, while we are contracting Maramena to do TV.
Meantime, I am working on the production of new modules, including those for court reporting, advanced numeracy and reporting diversity.
The aim is to launch the programme in 2008, but whether we do it with TEC funding will depend on our ability to meet their criteria for full recognition, as well as get new unit standards accepted by NZQA. Both may need more time, given our experience dealing with those organisations so far.


2. Unit standards review
Since February 14, the consultant and I have spent time preparing the third draft of the Level 5 unit standards for submission to NZQA. The second draft returned by NZQA on January 31 included several unit standards that needed reworking, although the bulk were more or less okay. This time we will be circulating the draft to the working groups who managed the consultation last year, asking them for formal sign-off.
The consultant will also be liaising with our contact person at NZQA (who is also doing the evaluation) to make sure the final submission is okay. Another couple of months should do it.
Because of the delays, I have decided to recommend to NZQA we delay the final expiry date for the old standards until December, 2009. That will give tertiary providers adequate lead-in time (they need about nine months) to change their documentation. Most will experimentally offer some of the new standards from next year.


3. New tertiary strategy
The Tertiary Education Commission has launched into the Cullen Plan to revamp the funding of tertiary education and over coming months all programmes will need to re-stake their claim for funding, and even the right to exist. That means there is some work in front of us making sure the 10 institutions who deliver our approved programmes are assisted to make a strong case not only for continuation but also be a better funding deal (see E-Noted, March-April Edition).
Council members who also serve on Journalism Advisory Committees are asked to raise this matter with tertiary administrators who attend committee meetings to see what information and support the JTO and industry can offer. I will be writing to the CEOs of all 10 to do the same.


4. Re-recognition
On February 19, with the help of two consultants and the PrintNZ ITO, the JTO submitted to TEC its case for temporary recognition as an ITO to continue for another 18 months from April. The bound document (a couple of hundred pages) had not drawn a response by the time of writing.
TEC's board will consider the matter in April. The feeling of those of us involved in the process is that we will get a sympathetic hearing, although not necessarily an 18-month extension. TEC staff we have been dealing with more recently have been helpful, and we have been steered by knowledgeable advice from Joan Grace at PrintNZ.


5. Moderation
Moderations continue at SIT (Southland) and WITT (New Plymouth) and has been started with WINTEC (Waikato). We will start the initial negotiations for dates, etc, with AUT soon.
With SIT, the moderation has been completed except for the news story unit standard, where the panel (me, Jim Tully and Fred Tulett) have found the standard of subediting is not acceptable. Fred, who is editor of the Southland Times and who chairs the advisory committee, has suggested some strategies that will ease time pressures on the tutors, allowing them time to subedit more thoroughly. This outcome will be discussed at the SIT advisory committee meeting on March 29. A further moderation of the unit will be required in six months.
WITT passed the pre-assessment moderation without difficulty last year and is now set for the post-assessment moderation of samples of assessments done. This will be carried out in May by the same panel as that involved in last year's postponed moderation (Venetia Sherson, chair; Annabel Schuler from JEANZ, and Rob Mitchell, a subeditor on the Taranaki Daily News). It is unlikely to involve a full panel visit.
I carried out the WINTEC pre-assessment moderation on February 27 and 28 and have submitted a preliminary report to WINTEC for feedback. The only issue to arise was the suggestion that some unit standards may be being over-assessed, something the panel will need to examine during the post-assessment moderation later this year. The panel comprises me as chair, Waikato Times editor Bryce Johns and a representative from JEANZ.
Since the new programme leader at AUT has only just assumed the role, I recommend their moderation be delayed until next year. However, negotiations for dates can begin soon. It will involve a similar timetable to that used for WINTEC.
Theoretically, the JTO can ask to moderate any school where there has been a significant change of staff. Including WINTEC, that applies to six of the 10 schools. It is beyond our capabilities to do five moderations in a year, so I propose we moderate on the following timetable:
• AUT – 2008
• NZ Broadcasting School – 2008
• Aoraki – 2008
• Whitireia – 2009
• Waiariki – 2009
The rationale is as follows: AUT is four years overdue for moderation; NZ Broadcasting School and Aoraki are due on the standard three-year cycle in 2008 anyway; Whitireia works closely with the JTO and I can monitor it fairly easily in the meantime; at Waiariki former programme leader Annabel Schuler now heads the faculty housing journalism and she is one of the most capable administrators I deal with. She also consults closely with the JTO.
The revised JTO External Moderation Plan (ATTACHMENT D) is now completed and is being referred to advisory committees for comment. I should be able to bring it back to the next Management Committee meeting for final sign-off. This is the outline of how we want to conduct moderations in future and is based on changes trialled in moderations at SIT, WITT and WINTEC.


6. Advisory guidelines
The draft guidelines (ATTACHMENT E) for Journalism Advisory Committees, which grew out of the meeting of committee chairs hosted by the JTO last November, have finally gained some attention from the tertiary institutions, who are objecting to the tone, language and some of the suggested content. They will make a joint submission to the JTO through the Institutes of Technology and Polytechnic Council and I will table this at advisory committee meetings as soon as possible. Individual institutions are also referring us to their existing in-house policies. This should be an item on all committee agendas over the first half of this year.


7. Seminars
The 2007 seminars programme (ATTACHMENT F) continues to develop as priorities change and sponsors drop in and out. At the time of writing, the one for Reporting the Economy was due to be staged on March 7 and 8 with 27 participants, followed by Hands-On Business Reporting in Auckland on April 17 and 18.
The forum on Reporting Diversity 2007 is scheduled for Wellington on May 15. This is by invitation only to ease pressure from the large numbers of non-journalists who are clamouring to attend. Preference will be given to working journalists and newsroom managers.
A seminar on rugby reporting is off in the meantime because the Rugby Union "has other priorities", while the overseas reporting one is being re-thought after NZAid and the Red Cross got too pushy about the programme content. I've heard nothing back from those who suggested the industrial reporting one, so that's on hold.
The Management Committee has decided the one for interviewing skills should go ahead without a sponsor – with a charge for attendance and no travel subsidy – because the topic is too important to neglect. I have launched a survey on the JTO website asking people for suggestions on how we should stage it. The tentative date is July, and we might deliver it in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch to save on costs for attendees.


8. Textbooks
Since the Management Committee meeting, when concern was expressed about the Intro replacement, I have asked Jim Tully to commit to some new dates for production of drafts, as well as sort out some contributor problems. I have asked for him to start sending me first drafts to peruse, a practice the JTO follows with all its books.
We sold the last 140 copies of Intro over the past month and agreed to let Massey have 130 photocopied for students enrolled in their media studies programme.


9. Joint venture with PrintNZ
I have received a letter from Joan Grace, Chief Executive of PrintNZ ITO, saying they can commit no further funds to the investigation of a joint venture with us, having expended $16,000 so far. She says the door is open for further discussions in the future, since PrintNZ still believes a combined ITO "would be best for all concerned".
As mentioned above, the JTO is pushing ahead with regaining full recognition as an ITO in its own right. The cost of policy and procedures documentation for this is estimated by our consultant at $20,000; however, that would drop to $5000 if he was able to use electronic versions of similar existing documents from another ITO.
PrintNZ declined my recent request for these, saying it was reviewing all its documentation and current material would be too out of date to be any use. Fortunately, Tranzqual (formerly Roadtranz, the road transport ITO) has agreed to let us have theirs.


Jim Tucker
Executive Director

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NZ JOURNALISTS TRAINING ORGANISATION COUNCIL REPORT TO THE 2006 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Introduction

It would be fair to describe the 2007 turn around in the Journalists Training Organisation, both financially and professionally, as remarkable. Last year I reported that two important issues dominated business at meetings – the change of executive director and the need for the JTO to institute industry training (urgently)
We have a new executive director who is visible, well-organised and hard-working. The industry training pilot has begun with a full rollout planned for 2008. All credit to Jim Tucker for this. He has done this at some risk to his health. Apart from office organisation, some other work that he does:
• Attends all advisory committee meetings (30+ this year alone)
• Organises and manages the industry training scheme
• Organises and manages the review of the Level 5 (National Diploma in Journalism – a huge consultation and review task
• Organises and manages successful seminars throughout New Zealand (12 in 2006)
• Keeps the website up to date
Jim is a one-man band, not through choice, but because the JTO is funded by industry, one of only two or three ITOs that do so. Most industries have on-the-job training schemes which give access to taxpayer money. Once industry training is a reality the JTO will have access to government money.


JTO merger plans
The JTO is among the smallest ITOs. It is scarcely viable at its present size. A merger may be the only solution. Industry representatives on the JTO appear resistant to mergers with compatible ITOs, such as the print industry.
They want to retain the JTO’s independence, but at a cost to .the employee and the JTO in the long term. I think it is important to look at a merger of the ITO, maybe into something called the Media Training Oganisation.
At the moment membership is restricted to the mainstream journalism organistions (print, radio, tv), as well as Pasifka, Maori, freelancers and magazines. Fairfax, APN, Radio NZ and TVNZ pay the main bills with smaller contributions from others, including JEANZ.
Many of our graduates forge careers in organisations that are not represented on the JTO. Should those working on the ‘dark side’ be brought into the media fold of a broader based media ITO? I would like a steer on this because it will come up for discussion at the March meeting of the council .


National Diploma review
I was involved in the early debate about changes industry wanted to the National Diploma. We (the education committee of the JTO) met in Auckland with Fairfax, APN, TVNZ, Radio NZ, Maori and JEANZ present around the table.
APN was concerned about our graduates lacking knowledge of society and not up to standard with news writing.
Many of the concerns have been addressed in the new draft unit standards, particularly merging seven unit standards into two – 23106 Find and gather information for news stories (30 publishable) and news writing 23111Write a variety of news stories (30 publishable). These two mega unit standards plus shorthand comprise about 54% of the course (in credits) –70 out of 130. Note the increase in credits.


JTO Council meeting (March, 2006)
The most contentious issue was the ‘publishing’ of the full report of the review of a journalism school in the appendices to the meeting papers.
I raised three issues:
1. A student’s name had been left on the news copy presented for moderation (a mistake that hopefully won’t happen again)
2. As a journalism tutor at an institute competing for students, I was privy to knowledge that I shouldn’t be. JTO Council members said they had faith in me not to use the knowledge at Whitireia.
3. I questioned whether council members needed such in-depth information about the course (23 type pages including graphs). I made the point that if they had faith in the moderation system there was no need for such information to be disseminated so widely. I was a sole voice.
Note the Attachment N was marked Confidential in red. I rang the journalism tutor of the moderated course. The tutor was comfortable with what had happened. The tutor was also appreciative of the offers of support and mentoring offered by Jim Tully and Jim Tucker (two of the moderators).
Other meeting matters:
• Lincoln Tan, editor of an English/Chinese newspaper, was co-opted on to the council representing Chinese media interests.
• Replacements for textbooks were approved – Intro, Guide to the Law, Layout and Design. New textbooks on Court reporting and Media Regulation and Complaints were approved subject to finance.
• A loss of $3000 (year to March 2005) was turned around – a surplus of $30,000 (year to March 2006). This year all seminars have been well sponsored. I attended an excellent one on court reporting sponsored by the Ministry of Justice.
• Position papers on the training needs for ethnic minority journalists (written by Gary Wilson and Lincoln Tan) were circulated.
JTO Council June meeting
The main item for JEANZ members was the presentation by the executive director of a Diploma in Editing plan to meet a “critical shortage of sub-editors being experience by some sections of the industry”. It was decided to explore the idea further.
I raised a concern that we were inventing a new diploma to meet need when the answer might lie elsewhere. My concern was that limited reporting experience does not always make a good sub-editor. Watch this space because other pressing training matters have set this plan back.
JTO Council November meeting
The review of the National Diploma in Journalism unit standards was in its final draft form at the November meeting and ready to pilot in 2007 for a general rollout in 2008. Major changes have been made to address industry concerns about lack of knowledge about society and poor news writing standards by graduates.
Jim Tucker organised a meeting of course advisory committee chairs in Wellington to discuss their role in journalism training. Some advisory committees are healthy and others less so, one even has a journalism tutor as the chair person. The plan is to have an annual meeting of chair people.
The national survey of journalists drew 1216 responses and provided a wealth of information about journalists, editors and training. A survey of employers is planned for next year.
A pilot manual for the workplace training qualifications was presented to the meeting.
Harris Management Solutions recommended that the JTO “agrees in principle to a joint venture with PrintNZ Training”. This will come up for discussion at the March 2007 meeting of the council. It would be useful if your representative had a JEANZ steer on it.
National Certificate review
I have been seconded to the Journalists Training Organisation to help draft new Level 2-4 journalism unit standards. We are consulting as widely as possible given the tight timeframe. All members of JEANZ involved in the National Certificate in Journalism (Introductory) at Level 3 and key secondary school teachers involved with Levels 2-4 (mostly Level 2 and 3) were invited to a meting in Wellington on November 6. Most were able to attend.
Another meeting of group leaders was held on Friday, December 1. I will be writing a draft set of unit standards based around the consultation and feedback. Those draft unit standards will circulate as widely as possible during January-February.
How the NCEA achievement based work at secondary schools mesh with the NZQA unit standards qualifications will be discussed.
JTO Council rep job description
I would like a clearer steer on consultation throughout the year and with whom. I think the time has arrived when I need to consult the JEANZ committee before (when the agenda etc arrive) and after meetings of the JTO council.
I wish you well for the AGM and Conference. I am sorry that I am unable to be there with you. Despite my health issues, I am a functioning journalism tutor, so am able to fulfill my duties next year as your representative. If you want a change, so be it.
If I continue as your rep, I would suggest that James Hollings attend JTO meetings, too, if things involving the university courses are on the agenda. He is the JEANZ alternate on the JTO.
A number of off-the-cuff comments have been made at JTO Council meetings about university courses that I have been unable to respond to. Note: Nothing serious, just throwaway lines thus far. There appears to be an anti-university prejudice wafting over the Tasman which I have no problem dealing with (I have a couple of university degrees).

Brian Joyce
Journalism tutor
Whitireia Community Polytechnic
Porirua City